Monday, May 22, 2017

Book Review: More Than This by Jay McLean

More Than This (More Than #1)
By Jay McLean
Release Date: July 10, 2013
Source: Amazon
When Mikayla imagined her prom night, she envisioned a fairy-tale evening full of romance. So when betrayal and tragedy come in quick succession, Mikayla is completely destroyed. Suddenly, everything she loved and everyone she relied on are tragically, irrevocably gone.

Jake, a handsome boy she just met, happens to witness her loss. With no one to turn to, Mikayla is forced to depend on this near stranger and his family, and he in turn is determined to take care of her. But Mikayla—thrust into adulthood with no one to guide her—is desperate to contain her grief and hide what she considers to be her weakness. Mikayla and Jake both want more, but despite their growing closeness and intense chemistry, she tries to keep her distance and protect her heart. As he does everything in his power to win her trust, Mikayla must choose between remaining alone and safe or letting love in.
 



I have heard so many amazing things about this book, so I was definitely excited to read it. While the story started off super strong and emotional, it quickly went down hill and I quickly lost interest in the characters and their story. 

Mikayla's prom night was supposed to be perfect. She should have had the perfect night with her loving boyfriend, but a betrayal and tragedy fall upon Mikayla and she finds herself broken and alone. Jake is the only one Mikayla can turn to, even though they just met and know nothing about one another. Jake and his family take Mikayla in without question in a time where Mikayla finds herself growing up much to quickly. Mikayla and Jake have an undeniable question, but Mikayla needs to figure out who she is first before giving her heart to someone again. 

Like I said, this book started off with some intense emotions and I was feeling it with each tragedy that was thrown at Mikayla. Once the book progressed, though, I quickly found myself becoming annoyed with Mikayla and Jake and their relationship. This was a case of extreme possessiveness and I was not a fan. Every person who even looked at either Jake or Mikayla caused the other to become extremely jealous and angry. I'm not a fan of excessive possessiveness and jealousy, so I got tired of that right away. 

Another part of MIkayla and Jake's relationship that I couldn't stand was their physical relationship. Mikayla couldn't feel like she could give herself fully to Jake, so they never kissed. Sure, they did other stuff, but kissing was a big no. I felt like Mikayla's need to "find herself" came out of the blue, especially since it seemed like she got over the huge tragedy at the beginning very quickly. They go off to college together and Jake conveniently has a house and it's no question that they would live together. There were no real rules in either of their lives, so Mikayla and Jake got away with so much, even when they were both living together before college in Jake's house. With his parents. So that was definitely not realistic to me. 

Overall, this was a huge miss for me. If it weren't for the strong beginning, this would have been a two star read for me. I could not connect with the relationship or either one of the main characters. The relationship was annoying and unhealthy, and Mikayla was not at all relatable to me. While other people like possessiveness and constant back-and-forth in books, I just wasn't a fan.



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...