Saturday, June 6, 2015

Book Review: Rule by Jay Crownover

Rule (Marked Men #1)
By Jay Crownover
Release Date: December 30, 2012
Source: Amazon 
Summary: Opposites in every way . . . except the one that matters 

Shaw Landon loved Rule Archer from the moment she laid eyes on him. Rule is everything a straight-A pre-med student like Shaw shouldn’t want—and the only person she’s never tried to please. She isn’t afraid of his scary piercings and tattoos or his wild attitude. Though she knows that Rule is wrong for her, her heart just won’t listen.

To a rebel like Rule Archer, Shaw Landon is a stuck-up, perfect princess-and his dead twin brother’s girl. She lives by other people’s rules; he makes his own. He doesn’t have time for a good girl like Shaw-even if she’s the only one who can see the person he truly is.

But a short skirt, too many birthday cocktails, and spilled secrets lead to a night neither can forget. Now, Shaw and Rule have to figure out how a girl like her and a guy like him are supposed to be together without destroying their love . . . or each other.

Review: I have been dying to read Jay Crownover's Marked Men series for what seems like forever. I finally snagged myself a copy of the first book from Amazon and read it over vacation and I am certainly glad that I did! 

While Shaw London was best friends with Remy Archer growing up, she was head over heels in love with his twin brother, Rule Archer, a tattooed guy with an attitude and determination to live life however he wants. So when Remy dies in a car accident going to pick up Rule from a party, Rule's family falls apart and Shaw is left to try to hold them together. Now, Shaw is going to college while Rule is working at a tattoo shop and trying to avoid his family who still blames him for his brother's death. After one drunken night and confession from Shaw, though, Rule sees Shaw in a whole new light. But can Rule really keep a girl as straight-laced and loving as Shaw? 

Hmmmm, I'm not really sure where to start with this one. I really enjoyed the story and the depth of emotion behind Shaw and Rule's relationship. Just the thought of losing a twin is devastating and I couldn't even begin to imagine what it felt like for Rule to have his mother blame him so vehemently for his brother's death. Rule is so used to doing what he wants and not caring what people think that he really doesn't know how to be in an actual relationship. I think that Shaw was a great character to get Rule to slow down and really try to settle down instead of continuing on with his lifestyle. I thought they were adorable together and loved how they challenged each other with their own insecurities and to be better people. 

Since many books are out in this series, I loved meeting the men in Rule's life that I knew get their own book later on in this series. I'm definitely intrigued by their stories! While there were some slow parts in this story, I really did feel Rule's struggle in trying to be what he thought Shaw wanted him to be while what Shaw was really in love with was the real him. Yeah, there was some slight miscommunication there! I also felt for Shaw in her insecurities with her relationship with Rule because she spent so much time loving him without him knowing that she wasn't sure if he would ever love her back the same. Poor girl, yet completely relatable! I really enjoyed Shaw's character and couldn't imagine anyone else for Rule. 

While I've heard nothing but fantastic things from this series, I think I expected a little bit more from this one. However, I have heard that the books only get better as they go on, so I am definitely going to check out the next book and dig into the lives of the rest of the marked men.


2 comments:

  1. You finally read Rule, yeeeessss!!!! I'm so happy right now lol I can't wait for you to read the rest of the Marked Men cause they're so yummy (especially Nash & Rowdy!) I've reread Rule a few times and I actually like it more and more each time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this book around so much! I need to pick it up. I love New Adult. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...